Hypothesis: R will make u sad

My greatest struggle throughout Module 2 was figuring out why we were learning about computational biology, but mostly minus the biology it seemed. I was able to press enter on the R Markdown chunks, get images and plots out, and take screenshots. But it became evident as I wrote my Research Article that I genuinely had no idea what most of my graphs meant, despite writing explanations for each of them. I had to keep digging through the write-ups, reading each of them at least 10 times, only to still not understand what samples the GO table, heatmaps, etc. were referencing. Also, because I really enjoyed the biological storytelling we did in Module 1, I had a really hard time in lecture adjusting to the extremely technical jargon being thrown around. Knowing my experience in 6.00 last semester in which somewhat similar concepts were covered, I had a feeling that I would hate this Module. Coding is not my strong suit. However, I realized that there were a few parts of this module that I would really enjoy outside of the computational biology aspect.  I really enjoy story telling, public speaking, and writing. So, I allowed myself to focus on the parts of the class that I really enjoyed, so that I could get as much out of it as possible. The Research Article, despite the weeks of hard work, was actually pretty fun to write. When the story I wanted to tell actually hit me, everything else became quite easy to write.  It is such a wonderful feeling to finally export 20 pages of writing/figures into a nice PDF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Statistics

Seeing the finish line!

Don’t judge a module by first sight!