Don’t judge a module by first sight!



Different from Module 1 and Module 2, Module 3 is less molecular biology focused and not directly related to medicine. At the beginning of Module 3, I thought that I would enjoy this module less as it seemed less relevant to my primary interest in medicine and cancer research. However, I was wrong.

I truly enjoyed this module, from TEM to making batteries, from brainstorming research ideas to presenting our research proposal. It was my second time seeing TEM samples, but it was just as fascinating as the first time. The phage nanowires were intertwined with evenly distributed gold nanoparticles, and the gold atomic planes were so regular and amazingly beautiful. On the last day of Module 3, it was so exciting to see batteries being made, and to light up LEDs using batteries with the cathodes we made!

The unimaginable beauty in the order, simplicity, and complexity of nature, from atoms to nanoparticles, from proteins to cells to organisms, is what drew me to biology in the first place. This module helped me find my first love in biological engineering again. 20.109 has exposed me to many different aspects and applications of biological engineering. Thank you to all the professors, instructors, communications lab faculty and fellows, and students (especially my lab partner) who have made 20.109 an eye-opening learning experience.

When asked what is “Biological Engineering” or “how is it different from biomedical engineering,” I say that biological engineering is engineering living things, changing how living things function, to improve society or human life. The examples I use are liver organoids, gene therapy, and designing targeted or antibody therapy for optimal treatment outcome based on systems biology modeling. To me, the term “Biological Engineering” means applying the engineering process to biology; it means engineering using living things and utilizing what biology already can do or is good at, instead of using mechanical or inanimate materials. 

- Alexa Guan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Statistics

Seeing the finish line!